Monday, February 25, 2013

Homemade Doggie Treats

I was back home with the family this past weekend, enjoying a big bowl of homemade popcorn while watching The Bourne Ultimatum. I look to my right and laying next to me on the couch was my sweet Bella, looking up at me with the saddest, yet adorable eyes begging for a piece of my popcorn..

I mean seriously, how cute is this face?!
Well, I woke up the next morning still feeling guilty..

Enter in: Peanut Butter Flax Doggie Treats.

 

Homemade Doggie Treats

1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1-1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup flax seeds
1-1/4 cups rolled oats
1-3/4 cup brown rice flour

      (or any gluten free flour's you have on hand! This last time I used a combo of 3 flours, I don't think your pup will mind) ;)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a small microwavable bowl, mix together peanut butter and water. Microwave for 1 minute. Add melted coconut oil and stir to combine.

In a separate bowl, combine your oats, flour(s) & flax seeds. Add wet mixture and mix until well combined.

On a large piece of plastic wrap, flatten out the dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Fold over plastic wrap to cover & pop the dough into the refrigerator for one hour.

Remove from plastic wrap and cut the dough into whatever shapes you want! Or if you want to get fancy like me, you can use cookie cutters.

Place the cutouts evenly on 2 baking sheets and pop in the oven for about an hour. The original recipe I based this off of said to put them in for an 1 hr & 45 min, but mine would have burnt to a crisp if I had left them in that long! So check them periodically and you can judge how long to bake them. They should feel firm but not browned. They firm up more once out of the oven.

Let them cool completely before sharing with your pup & you can store them in the fridge to make sure they last for a couple weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment